Saturday, October 3, 2015

PRAYER QUILTS FOR LOVED ONES-A CANCER PATIENT, ONE WITH MANY HEALTH PROBLEMS, ONE HANDICAPPED

When I come out of my workroom, I don't want to have to think about cooking or getting something to eat together and I like good food so I try to have it ready for when I get done soooo I have become a kind of crock pot queen-throw it in, let it cook.

 This week I was craving good ol' pinto beans with cornbread and my homemade potato/broccoli/cheese soup [will share my revised recipe here at the end of this post]. Well, beans don't do well for me in a crock pot so Tuesday morning the bean pot came out and beans put on the stove to cook, I just have to keep remembering to come back in and stir them up and remembering anything is a chore any more for me but great balls of fire, I didn't burn them this time and they didn't stick. That's the reason I love a crock pot, don't have to worry about that. 

Anyhoo--

Beans on, finished putting binding on the two prayer quilts I had quilted a few days before, had taken to Bible study and we prayed for healing for my niece, Pattie, who is being treated for cancer right now and for my sister-in-law, Delores who has several health problems. She had a hysterectomy last week, is diabetic, is still recouping from knee surgery and had breast cancer last year. Pattie's was sent to her in Florida as soon as I finished binding and packaging that morning. 

Both quilts were from one of the fabrics that I keep for these special pieces. When I find something I want to use, I get all I can afford that day. This one has Psalm 23 and is of a tranquil scene. I have found it on sale several times and bought it each time I find it. There are only a couple of more panels left in my stash so will be looking out for more fabrics I think I want to use. 






Here is my great, grandduaghter's, Hannah, first sewing project on her own sewing machine-a prayer quilt for a little handicapped boy named Bryce.





This is the video I took of her as she worked.

I get more of a blessing for being able to make these prayer quilts than the ones who receive them.

God bless you and may the joy of crafting be upon you
Carolyn Wainscott
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BIG OOPS
Almost forgot I was going to give you my recipe for my soup-mind you, I usually don't measure much of anything so you may want to adjust some of the ingredients to suit yourself and I don't seem to be able to make just a little of anything after cooking for years for a family and guests.
so here goes:
On Wednesday, before I went into sewing room to hem a bunch of jeans for great, grandson, Blake, I started the soup in the crock pot-remember, I don't like to have to cook when I get done working

[2] 32 oz. cartons of chicken stock
1 1/2 cups frozen chopped onions [I know, I am getting to be a really a lazy cook]
a bag of frozen shredded hash browns [I used over 1/2 of a 2 lb. bag]
2-3 cups left over mashed potatoes [I made lots of extra for dinner a couple of days before just for this soup]
-cooked on high for 4-5 hours-
added a couple of cups of chopped frozen broccoli
then when the broccoli was cooked added:
50 ozs. mild cheddar cheese sauce
[I usually use Velveeta but it seems to be getting rather pricey-was looking for a large can of cheese sauce I had used before but found Gehl's Nacho cheese sauce-it came in a box with 2 -50 oz. bags for about $8 so there is another bag left for nachos or pretzels]

Hope you like the soup, I sure do
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please check out my designs on 
CRAFTSY.COM 
 @
http://www.craftsy.com/user/pattern/store/43851

ETSY
@
https://www.etsy.com/shop/QuiltingCarolyn

THE CRAFT STAR
@
http://carolynscanvasquiltingcraftingsewingpatterns.thecraftstar.com/


Available only in my Etsy shop "Carolyn's Canvas"
13" by 24" boy or girl panel silk screened on 100% Kona PFD [prepared for dying] cotton ready for hand painting with your own fabric paints or markers or to be thread painted by hand or machine. Instructions included for adding borders to make baby quilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment