Saturday, July 4, 2015

A QUILT IN BRAILLE??

There are lots of quilting sites on Facebook and I must admit I belong to a few and spend time cruising through them, sometimes too much time but it is like attending a quilt show all the time and I love looking at other people's work or sharing tips or asking opinions on creations and products. One of those sites is "Just Us Quilters". 

One of those "shares" touched my heart since my nephew's wife is losing her sight. They have been to doctor after doctor in several states but there is no cure. Linda's sight has degenerated to just shadows but she has seen her two daughters grow up, Maria get married,  Mandy graduate with a nursing degree and is enjoying her two grandchildren. 

Anyway

Janice wrote:
My son and his wife are both blind. Their one year old son is sighted. I am sewing French knot braille on this quilt so they can read the letters with their son and do the animal search and find, using their fingers to find the animals pictured in the bottom box on the larger panel n the top.

look at those French knots

Who would have thought of braille on cloth? I contacted Janice privately to ask if I could share her work and she said yes. Since the panel looked kind of hand painted I asked if she had done it but she said when she saw the panel in the store she just fell in love with it and I can see why. But braille-on a quilt?

She just messaged me a bit ago to say she was excited because she was giving the quilt to the baby in a couple of days. I hope she takes lots of photos and lets us see them. This is such a labor of love, of course, all our quilts are labors of love, aren't they?

Lots of kudos to Janice, she may have started a trend that will add a great deal of enjoyment to those who have only been able up to this point of just running their fingers over a nice smooth quilt but now can know its story.

God bless you and Happy Quilting
Carolyn Wainscott
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHECK OUT MY CRAFTSY PATTERN STORE @
http://www.craftsy.com/user/pattern/store/43851

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/other/soft-sculpture-nativity-set/147482

Angel Baby

Little Girls' and American Girl Doll Cape 


Victorian Quilted Christmas Stocking






No comments:

Post a Comment