Saturday, December 13, 2014

HOW TO MAKE A PORTRAIT ORNAMENT WITH STAINED GLASS LOOK





These custom photo ornaments with stained glass look have been one of the favorite gifts I have ever made and given away and they are fun to make.

One of these days my white Christmas tree may be covered with one of these of each member of my family-that's on my bucket list anyway. 

I use an outdated photo editing program called Live Pix that I have had since mid 90's with one of my first computers. It is a simple one and no longer available. I don't know what I will do when this computer is no longer usable because I don't think Live Pix will be compatible with a more recent one. I am using a Toshiba with Windows 7. 

You can use any editing software you choose. It is just when I get used to something, I don't want to change. I have tried Photoshop and gave up and went back to my simple little Live Pix. 

You will need:
clear glass ornaments
ink jet transparencies
photos
computer
ink jet printer [make sure you have lots of ink, these take lots if you are making very many]

 The clear glass ornaments are purchased when they go on sale, usually at Hobby Lobby. My preference is the 4" ones but have used smaller ones. 

To get them ready:
clean them with alcohol, let dry thoroughly [I usually do this the day before, turn upside down to be sure all alcohol drains]

Edit and print photos-use printer settings for transparencies, extra color can be added if desired

You can get 4 prints per sheet 


Cut photos to fit ornaments [make a template and try in ornament before you start cutting on your prints]

Roll photo into tube-print inside

Slip into ornament

Adjust with tweezers if needed

Put top back on and you have a future heirloom. 

 Here is my video tutorial to show you how easy it is to create your own works of art. 


Happy crafting
Carolyn Wainscott
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out my crafting, quilting, sewing patterns @
http://www.craftsy.com/user/pattern/store/43851





No comments:

Post a Comment