Sunday, September 28, 2014

HOW TO MAKE A QUICK & EASY PRAYER SHAWL-SENDING COMFORT

























Stitched prayers-that is what I consider the pieces I make to send comfort, peace, hope, healing, good wishes, etc. There have been quilts for babies and children, small blocks that can be carried in pocket or purse and prayer shawls-a little something to put around the shoulders to warm and remind that you are being thought about and prayed for.

This shawl is for my sister's sister-in-law who is in deep need of prayer. Pam has health issues including cancer and in June her only child passed away. Who could be in more need of prayer? As I was working on another project the other day, Pam came to mind and I decided to make something for her. 

The next day when the Linus Project I had been working on had been shipped, I got out the materials I thought might be of use for Pam. I had just kinda, sorta thought about what would be a good piece for her so the possible fabrics were spread out on the cutting table. In the fabrics I try to keep in stock for these projects are panels that can be enlarged by adding borders or odds and ends picked up on sale tables with prayers already printed on them. When I find things that suit my fancy I get all I can afford that day for future use. 

For Pam a shawl was decided on to be made from some pillow panels and the back would be a matching print. I had been working with polar fleece the day before and there was a good sized piece that could be used to help make the shawl quickly and easily. 

The pillow panels are pretty standard sized at 14"-16" square and could be used for pockets,
one has Psalm 23 and the other a restful mountain scene with a waterfall
the fleece was cut 16" wide by 72"  long
the coordinating print was also cut 16" wide by 72" long.
all these measurements can be adjusted to suit the fabrics and your needs

To sew:
lace was sewn across the top of the pockets [pillow panel-optional]
pin pockets to 16" edges-wrong side to right side of fleece
pin lining fabric to fleece-right sides facing
I sewed all three layers together at the same time with my serger leaving a 8-10" opening to turn right side out
a scalloped top stitching was added all around the edge after turning and
the shawl was completed by putting a book by Beth Moore and a journal in a pocket

and one more thing-the most important-at our women's Bible study we put our prayers for Pam into the shawl


Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Heb 11:1
Healing, hope, love, concern, peace, comfort,  well being are things hoped for that cannot be seen but these pieces are the evidence of prayer for them.

I pray that Pam receives all these and takes comfort in this shawl.

God bless you
Carolyn Wainscott

Here is my video tutorial with hints and suggestions for making the shawl:

______________________________________________
Check out my patterns and designs in My Pattern Store on Craftsy
 @ http://www.craftsy.com/user/pattern/store/43851


and while you're over there at Craftsy, check out all the online classes



No comments:

Post a Comment